Wednesday 28 May 2014

A Great Little Morning Snack.

I always bring a snack to work with me for the mid morning stomach growl. I usually bring fruit and nuts, or a yogurt.

My new favorite snack  is Martin's apple chips and my homemade energy balls. Yes I know what your thinking, "boring", but I swear they are both really yummy, pinkie promise.

I picked up this gigantic bag of "all natural" dried apple chips from Costco the other week. These chips are so crispy and sweet I can't get enough of them. I also have one or two energy balls with the chips. It is the perfect, filling, satisfying snack.

Here is the recipe for the "energy balls" I found from "Oh She Glows" blog. They are really easy to make and taste amazing. (My kids love them too!)

I also added about 1/4 cup of shredded coconut and increased the amount of dates to 13. I did not have pecans so I used cashews instead. I also added cranberries instead of cherries and they turned out great.

   Ingredients:
  • 1 cup whole raw almonds
  • 120 grams pitted Medjool (not honey) dates (about 8 )
  • 1/2 cup dried sweetened cherries
  • 3 tbsp dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used Camino brand)
  • 1/4 cup raw pecans
  • Kosher or sea salt, to taste

1. In a food processor, process the almonds until finely chopped. It’s ok if some bigger pieces remain. Just be sure not to pulverize it into a flour as you want some texture.
2. Remove 1/3 cup of the processed almonds and set aside for the final step.
3. Now, add the pitted dates in (along with the almonds already in the processor) and process until finely chopped and sticky. A dough will start to form. Add cherries and process again until combined. The mixture will likely form into a large ball. If this happens, break it up with a spoon and process more if necessary.
4. Add in the chocolate chips and pecans and process until they are just chopped. Add salt to taste. Pulse in the reserved 1/3 cup almonds for texture. Roll into small balls. Place in a container or baggie and store in the fridge or freezer. Oh yea, don’t forget to pop a few in your purse!

Read more: http://ohsheglows.com/2012/03/28/dark-chocolate-cherry-energy-bites-a-book-review/#ixzz32aEWBYOQ


Give them a try I am sure you will love them too!
xo Angela

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

1 comment:

  1. That looks delicious ! Taking notes and I will try to recreate this recipe :) !

    ReplyDelete