Wednesday 11 June 2014

Six Perfect Summer Reads

I always read before bed, it helps me to turn off the thoughts of the day and the anticipation of the next. Usually after only a couple of pages my eyes grow heavy and I am forced to put the book down, turn off the light, and drift away to peaceful sleepy land. It seems to take me forever to read a book as this is the only time I read. 

My Mom is an avid reader and always has been as long as I can remember. I rely on her suggestions a lot for book choices. Between the two of us we have pulled together this list of some great summer reads.

I did not write these reviews below. I have pulled this information from the Chapters website. For more information please click on the (source) link after the description.

Have a Little Faith –  A True Story -Written by Mitch Album- "In the beginning there was a question. ''Will you do my eulogy'' As is often the case with faith, I thought I was being asked a favor. In truth, I was being given one..." (Source)

A House in the Sky – Written by  Amanda Lindhout, Sara Corbett – “The dramatic and redemptive memoir of a woman whose curiosity led her to the world's most beautiful and remote places, its most imperiled and perilous countries, and then into fifteen months of harrowing captivity-an exquisitely written story of courage, resilience, and grace.” (source)

The Girl with no Name – The True Story of the Girl who lived with Monkey’s – Written by Marina Chapman with Lynne Barrett-Lee .  The Girl with No Name tells this spellbinding story in vivid detail-from the enchantment of the shady garden where Marina was kidnapped to the dappled darkness of her jungle home to the hunger, poverty, and pain of her existence in Cucuta. The book also offers a rare and fascinating glimpse into the world of capuchin monkeys. This is a unique and inspiring story of abandonment, despair, and eventual happiness.” (source)

The Invention of Wings - Written by Sue Monk Kidd-  “Hetty Handful" Grimke, an urban slave in early nineteenth century Charleston, yearns for life beyond the suffocating walls that enclose her within the wealthy Grimke household. The Grimke's daughter, Sarah, has known from an early age she is meant to do something large in the world, but she is hemmed in by the limits imposed on women.

Kidd's sweeping novel is set in motion on Sarah's eleventh birthday, when she is given ownership of ten year old Handful, who is to be her handmaid. We follow their remarkable journeys over the next thirty five years, as both strive for a life of their own, dramatically shaping each other's destinies and forming a complex relationship marked by guilt, defiance, estrangement and the uneasy ways of love.” (source)

Heaven is for Real – A little boys astounding story of his trip to heaven and back – Written by Todd Burpo with Lynn Vincent.  “When Colton Burpo made it through an emergency appendectomy, his family was overjoyed at his miraculous survival. What they weren''t expecting, though, was the story that emerged in the months that followed-a story as beautiful as it was extraordinary, detailing their little boy''s trip to heaven and back.” (source)
The Fault In Our Stars

I am currently reading "The Fault in Our Stares" by John Green and really enjoying it. We plan on seeing the movie once I'm finished with the book.  I much prefer to read the book prior to seeing the movie. Reading the book allows me the freedom to create my own mental images.


What's on your summer reading list?

No comments:

Post a Comment