Saturday 28 June 2014

The Best "Real" Chocolate Chip Cookie

The girls and I decided we should make some "real" chocolate chip cookies other than the healthier versions I usually make. We decided it would be an extra special treat to share with some of our extra special friends this weekend. By "real" I mean all the sugary, buttery, floury goodness that makes a chocolate chip cookie "real"! Oh yea!

After doing a little research on the web we found a recipe on All Recipe's called "The Best Chocolate Chip Cookie", and it had over 6000 glowing reviews. The difference in this cookie recipe is that you dissolve the baking soda in hot water before you add it to your mixture. I think by doing this it leads to a thicker cookie.
Our cookies looked nothing like the ones on the website although I think they  actually look better (if that's even possible?). And most importantly they tasted extremely good.
 I would definitely use this recipe again, I think they turned out great. The trick for any cookie is to take them out when you think they are not done (seriously, you know when you look at them and think "oh maybe another minute or two", NO take them out then). Only leave them in for 9-10 minutes maximum if you like a chewy  center kind of cookie like I do.

Here is the recipe: ( I did not use the walnuts as the kids are not huge fans, although they would be good)
INGREDIENTS:
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons hot water
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped walnuts
DIRECTIONS:
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2.Cream together the butter, white sugar, and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Dissolve baking soda in hot water. Add to batter along with salt. Stir in flour, chocolate chips, and nuts. Drop by large spoonfuls onto ungreased pans.
3.Bake for about 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until edges are nicely browned.
Source
I really enjoy making these classic memories with my kids and getting them to help me bake and cook. Yes it is a little more work and mess but that's OK. The amount of joy they get from mixing, measuring and rolling  makes it all worthwhile. The greatest part is watching them bite into a cookie they are proud to say they made!

Treat yourself and your family to a batch of these, they'll love you forever.
xoAngela

1 comment:

  1. Classic choc chip cookies are the best! I just had one :)

    GIVEAWAY on my blog! Come and join:

    http://badtastetoasttoast.blogspot.de/2014/06/lingering-petrichor-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete