Wednesday 8 October 2014

Bourbon Chicken + Thanksgiving

I love the idea of a special Sunday family meal together (including grandparents or friends etc). This past Sunday at our "family meal" I decided to try a new recipe I found earlier in the week.
The recipe I chose was from food.com and I have to tell you it is a keeper.  It was so easy and the flavor is delicious. It tastes like Chinese take-out!

When I made this I actually cooked the chicken earlier on in the day. I also mixed the sauce up and had it ready to go as well. This makes for more time spent with company and less time in the kitchen. I am all for anything you can do in advance. I also made the recipe a bit bigger so I increased the ingredients a bit.

When the cook time was complete I found it to be a bit runny so I thickened it with 1 teaspoon of cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon of water and it turned out perfect. I like a bit thicker sauce but you may like it thinner. It is a personal preference.

Here is the recipe: (source)

Ingredients

    • 2 lbs boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
    • 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
    • 1 garlic clove, crushed
    • 1/4 teaspoon ginger
    • 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    • 1/4 cup apple juice
    • 1/3 cup light brown sugar
    • 2 tablespoons ketchup
    • 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
    • 1/2 cup water
    • 1/3 cup soy sauce

Directions

  1. Editor's Note: Named Bourbon Chicken because it was supposedly created by a Chinese cook who worked in a restaurant on Bourbon Street.
  2. Heat oil in a large skillet.
  3. Add chicken pieces and cook until lightly browned.
  4. Remove chicken.
  5. Add remaining ingredients, heating over medium Heat until well mixed and dissolved.
  6. Add chicken and bring to a hard boil.
  7. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
  8. Serve over hot rice and ENJOY.
I also wanted to let you all know that I am signing off for 5-6 days to spend some solid time with my amazing family. It is Thanksgiving weekend for Canadians so I want to wish everyone a wonderful weekend. I hope you all get to enjoy special time with friends and family.


  I am extremely thankful for the wonderful circle of love that surrounds myself and my family, what are you thankful for?

1 comment:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving Angela! I hope you have a lovely time with your family xx

    Gemma | missmakeupmagpie.com

    ReplyDelete